SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN – MECHANICAL TEST
- Deliver high quality results by performing various standardized mechanical tests including tensile, compression, fatigue, and fracture toughness at cryogenic, room, and elevated temperatures to help support the building and development of SpaceX’s launch vehicles and spacecraft
- Perform preparation, operation, maintenance, and care for tensile and fatigue test frames
- Use of mechanical testing software, data collection, and data report generation
- Expedite samples across the SpaceX campus between engineers and testing labs
- Detailed documentation of testing parameters, equipment setup, and other possible variables
- Maintain and use precision calibrated tools including micrometers, calipers, etc.
- Work with engineering to execute non-standard testing to support launch vehicle and spacecraft hardware design and production
- High school diploma or GED
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with one or more of the mechanical properties tests in an aerospace laboratory environment: tensile, fatigue, crack growth, fracture toughness
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to multitask and rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a fast-paced, challenging, work environment, while following standard operating procedures
- Strong computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Atlassian JIRA, and work order systems
- Knowledge of tensile/fatigue test fixture setup, computer programs, and test frames
- Understanding of tensile, fatigue, and fracture toughness testing fundamentals
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills to work closely with other technicians and engineering groups
- Ability to read and understand testing specifications
- Strong organizational skills to keep work area tidy and organize workflow
- Experience using various types of hand tools and/or power tools
- Able to work off-shifts and available for overtime and weekends if needed
- Able to wear appropriate PPE for mechanical testing and machine shop environment
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. unassisted. Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA