Tracer, Winston, Pharah, Hanzo… these are just a few of the memorable heroes that inhabit our world. Their weapons are a challenging thing to get right and make our combat feel engaging. However, no matter how fantastic the design or how big the ‘BOOM’ is, it’s the details which truly define a weapon’s character and bring it to life. The way the light catches every nick and battle scar on a well-worn assault rifle or the mysterious, intricate engraving on an ancient sword pommel, each subtle nuance helps to create a truly rich and inviting world. Our talented artists put their heart and soul into bringing these unique and visually stunning weapons to life, and their ranks are growing. We want to meet a Weapon Artist ready to step up and break new ground in the Overwatch universe.
Blizzard is looking for a highly motivated and talented Weapon Modeler to join its Overwatch art team in Irvine, California. In this role you will use your modeling skills to bring new first-person weapons to life and expand the horizons of Overwatch.
Your broader experience with game development and the character pipeline will help you work collaboratively with designers, concept artists, technical artists and animators to ensure that you are always putting gameplay first when it comes to developing amazing weapons.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers and designers whose sole goal is to make a truly epic and immersive game experience.
Sound fun? If you’re up to the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!
- Create both high resolution 3D models and final low polygon game assets
- Couple hand painted textures and next-gen materials for use in game engine
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via prototyping and group critiques
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in game development as an artist specializing in weapons, mechanical or vehicle modeling using Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, or Mudbox
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools
- Demonstrated proficiency in traditional hard-surface poly modeling techniques
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Self-motivation, superior communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for video games
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or technical art
- Experience with Allegorithmic Substance Painter
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as a 3D artist specializing in equipment, weapons or vehicles
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album).
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Location/Region: Irvine, CA