The Minot Daily News is currently hiring the position of Publisher to lead its award-winning team, one that is committed to excellence in journalism through service and leadership in the community.
The Publisher has primary leadership responsibility for industry growth and operations with a focus on culture, sales, marketing, financial management, and a strong appreciation for high journalistic standards. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years of experience and will be a positive, out-going, self-motivated, detail oriented leader who will continually develop the skills of the team. This is a unique opportunity to uphold our values of excellence and service.
The candidate will display the ability to work efficiently and maintain a high level of productivity and quality; work independently and as part of a team; communicate regularly; balance multiple priorities; and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, team-focused environment. The candidate will have a proven record of creating and growing a positive, respectful and energetic work culture.
The Minot Daily News is an award-winning daily newspaper covering local news, sports, business, jobs and community events. The newspaper is published Monday through Saturday covering Minot and the surrounding communities of Ward County, North Dakota, with a circulation of 9,896 copies.Minot is the fourth largest city in North Dakota with a population of over 47,000 people. It is the home to the Minot US Air Force base. Minot is home to a strong Scandinavian ancestry history and home to the North Dakota State Fair every year.
Founded on September 22, 1890 with H. C. Ogden’s launch of the Wheeling News, Ogden Newspapers has since grown to 50 daily newspapers, along with a number of weeklies and a magazine division – stretching from New York to Hawaii.
Throughout that time, the company has been committed to excellence in journalism through service and leadership in our communities. Newspapering has changed over time – long gone are the days of hot lead typesetting and linotype machines – but our core values as a company have not. We believe local newspapers should not only report the news of the day, but also tell the stories of their communities, and of the people who live there. We take writing the first draft of history seriously.
How people consume news has changed, but our mission stays the same. Our newspapers have found new ways to serve their communities, creating robust online content. These keep all of our readers, both print and digital, well informed and engaged with local happenings. Our rich heritage of newspapering combined with a company-wide commitment to high journalistic standards, positions us to continue to uphold the values of excellence and service for decades to come.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Oversee all newspaper operations with a focus on culture, sales, marketing, financial management, and high journalistic standards.
- Manage P&L to ensure financial growth with ultimate responsibility for the financial health of the operation including but not limited to creating and managing the overall forecast.
- Enhance the newspaper's positive presence in the community.
- Direct the online footprint for the newspaper.
- Ensure both advertiser and subscriber needs are met at very high levels.
- Develop and execute strategies across multiple platforms to maximize sales.
- Implement effective operations through all departments to uphold the values of excellence and service.
- Lead process for to recruit, evaluate and hire candidates, and manage disciplinary issues.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; and minimum of 3 years publishing experience
- A background in Advertising or Editorial a strong plus.
- Background and experience leading advertising or editorial depts a plus.
- Significant relevant work experience with advanced editing, writing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- The ability to lead and direct others to achieve or exceed organizational goals in an efficient and effective manner.
Location/Region: Minot, ND